Sunday, February 8, 2009

25 Random Things

...about my life these days.  
(in honor of the newest facebook phenomenon)

1. I went to Dublin last week (photos posted here
2. I kind of love Irish people... and pubs.
3. While we were in Dublin, TRADFEST was going on, which means that all the pubs had live bands playing traditional Irish music.
4. Old Irish men jigging is a beautiful thing that everyone should see.
5. There was a bachelorette party at one of the pubs we went to and they hired a stripper dressed in an policeman uniform to dance. After fully exposing himself, he wrapped himself in an American flag and the hoard of drunk Irish women he was entertaining started chanting Obama's name. I felt oddly patriotic at the time.
6. While visiting Trinity College in Dublin my longing to return to a university seriously intensified. I thought I already knew this, but it turns out, I really can't wait to go back to school.
7. I had my first "waiting for answers from grad schools" nightmare last night even though I won't hear anything until mid-march. I have Megan's wonderful recent grad school success to thank for this, I think. 
8. I am doing a lesson this week on cheesy pick-up lines in honor of Valentine's Day... the dialogues they've performed make me laugh. 
9. My favorite pick up line on the list is: "baby, I'm like milk. I'll do your body good."
10. I spent today walking clear across Paris, from Montmartre back to my apartment near Montparnasse. 
11. It still surprises me on days like today that even after living here for over 6 months, Paris still manages to take my breath away a little bit. 
12. I have one more week of vacation and then 2 weeks of vacation at the end of the month. Turns out, working a lot in France doesn't happen that often. 
13. I'm going to Spain and Portugal for vacation with my roommate Sarah and friend Caitlin. We're visiting Lisbon, Lagos, Sevilla and Valencia--I'm REALLY excited. 
14. My favorite part of the days I teach is the train ride to my school... I always want it to last longer... especially when I have a book or my ipod. 
15. If the weather is clear enough, I can see the Eiffel Tower and sometimes even the Sacre Coeur from the train on the way to school. That might be why I love it so much.
16. I've often wondered if whether or not I see the Sacre Coeur on my way to school indicates how my classes day will go. I have not found a relationship between the two yet... 
17. I'm tutoring 2 little boys who go to an English bilingual school and constantly searching for more babysitting jobs.
18. The little one, Liam, is 7 and we read the Giving Tree together last week... it made me miss my momma a little bit and is still one of my favorite children's books. 
19. I went to a creperie this past week and tried a cinnamon kir (white wine with cinnamon liquor) it was amazing. 
20. My favorite night of the week is always Monday, when we all go to a pub for music quiz. We go every week and never win, so the bartenders have taken to giving us consolation shots every time. I love that.
21. I am only really teaching for 7 more weeks... and have 4 weeks of vacation time before I come home.
22. Predictably, this fact has made me very nostalgic and sad about the inevitable end of my time here
23. I've been reading a lot more lately, and fell deeply in love with Steinbeck's East of Eden
24. I also fell in love with Edward Cullen a bit while reading Twilight, but we won't talk about that...
25. I miss my friends from home a lot and have started dreaming up a wonderful summer emory reunion weekend at the beach... we'll chat about this soon. 

OK, that gets us to 25 things you may or may not want to know. Hope all is well and want to hear from you soon! 

all my love,
Betsy

No comments: