The first week anywhere is a bit strange, I imagine, and Paris is no exception. A lot has changed since my stay here last summer. First of all, the Eiffel Tower is blue. I think Sarkozy wanted to make some kind of loving gesture to the EU, because there was also a display on the Champs de Mars. On the other side, there is a giant circle of golden stars, you know so they're turning this massive phallic structure into a flag. hot.
{this photo is not mine, but was taken by a new friend named Leah. The phantom dressed in white is, of course, yours truly and the excitable blonde next to me is my new roommate, Sarah}
The second most notable change is that, unlike last summer when I enjoyed a blissful, Emory-cushioned stay in the Latin Quarter, this time there is the force of the French Administration to reckon with. I've been dividing my time here so far between getting to know other assistants and attempting to construct a sort of social life and trying to sort through the bureaucratic mess that Hemingway never told me about. However, the hassle of opening a bank account attaining a residence card, moving into my new apartment and figuring out regular access to the internet will be resolved soon. In the mean time, I've met some really nice people who I imagine will travel and frolic through Paris with me this year.
I am still staying chez Camus here in this lovely abode. They went to their house in the country this weekend so I had the place to myself for a few days. I hope I'll be able to get out of their hair by this weekend, but we'll see. I'm heading to meet my landlord this afternoon and will post photos of my new place ASAP.I also went to visit my school this week to meet the faculty, etc.. and found a massive space station of a structure on a hill with over 2,000 students. It felt like that scene in Never Been Kissed when Drew Barrymore goes back to high school in her white boa. The french students are excessively chic and all look older than I do, and of course, as all teenagers do, travel in large packs. Luckily, my classes shouldn't exceed 20 students, so that shouldn't be too intimidating. Furthermore, my supervisor is a very nice British woman who has already taken it upon herself to ensure that I have as many long weekends and late mornings as possible integrated into my schedule--so tighhhtt.
Ok, I think that's all for now. All my love.

1 comment:
i'm so jealous...currently i'm being a slacker and not paying attention in biostat lab...i know i'm bad. I'm glad you're doing well! I wish you were in boston to play with me!!
Post a Comment